The Patterson Collection includes approximately 500 old and rare books, many with fine leather covers and embossed bindings. The collection is broad in scope, diverse in subject, and dates from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century. The collection was received by Washington & Jefferson College in 1929 by the bequest of Thomas Hamilton Hoge Patterson of Philadelphia. His library was left to be divided between the libraries of Washington & Jefferson College and Washington & Lee University.
Patterson was prominent in the real estate development business west of the Alleghenies during the early 20th century. He was the son of Joseph Patterson, founder of the Western Theological Seminary.
The Patterson Collection is a circulating collection.