|The Walker Room on the lower level of the Library is a recreation of John Walker's private library as it existed in his Western Avenue mansion in Pittsburgh. The Walker Room contains a rich collection of books, bookcases, pictures, furniture, chandeliers, and exquisite stained-glass lamps. John Walker was a Pittsburgh industrialist, who amassed a fortune in the steel and iron industry. When he died in 1932, he left the bulk of his estate to his family who in turn offered his library and furnishings to Washington & Jefferson College. On March 15, 1933, the Walker Room was dedicated as part of the Library.
The Patterson Collection includes approximately 500 old and rare books, many with fine leather covers and embossed bindings. The collection is broad in scope, diverse in subject, and dates from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century. The collection was received by Washington & Jefferson College in 1929 by the bequest of Thomas Hamilton Hoge Patterson of Philadelphia. His library was left to be divided between the libraries of Washington & Jefferson College and Washington & Lee University.
Patterson was prominent in the real estate development business west of the Alleghenies during the early 20th century. He was the son of Joseph Patterson, founder of the Western Theological Seminary.
The Patterson Collection is a circulating collection.