The Clark Family Library’s origins extend back to 1789, when Benjamin Franklin gave the nascent college a £50 pound donation for books. In the College Archives, the Library still holds five books from this original purchase. When Washington College and Jefferson College were unified in 1865, the Library was located in the College’s Carnegie Library, now known as Thompson Memorial Hall. In 1965, the College built the U. Grant Miller Library on its current site and moved its holdings to that new, larger facility. In the summer of 2018, the library underwent a major renovation converting the upper floor to facilitate collaborative study space, increasing the footprint of our archives and special collections, and updating the building to be more accessible for all patrons. The library is renamed for W&J Board of Trustees member Richard T. Clark ’68 and his wife, Angela, whose donation made the upgrades possible.
The mission of Clark Family Library is to serve as an intellectual center by providing resources and services that